Why Math? Digital Story

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Digital Storytelling Reflection

I have used iMovie and many other digital storytelling applications in the past.  However, I have usually used them for personal use.  I do enjoy using these applications and believe they are great tools for students to use, however, I do not see them as a great resource for a math class.  I would actually prefer to use Power Point.  I think that using these applications would be a good resource to create tutorials with, however, I do not see myself having students use digital storytelling in my classroom.  I have had them use Power Point and create movies, but it is very difficult to take pictures of math problems and it make sense.  I feel that students would be spending more time trying to figure out were they could find pictures and what music to use, rather than spending time learning the concept itself.

3 comments:

  1. I can see that you feel very strongly about this. I could see the digital story in a math class as being more of an explanation of a process for students. I could imagine them doing exactly what was done with the Voice Thread and provide their thoughts on a how and why certain steps were taken to solve a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, Keri. But I think the idea of creating an instructional tool for math with DST was a good one, and it seems like those kind of tools would be useful for kids who needed extra help or who missed a class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think forcing them to explain how to solve a problem in a iMovie application will show them what they understand and what they need help to understand. It is not an application that I see you using often, but you could use it to check for understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.